Sue’s Quick & Tasty BBQ Trout Fillets
- Boned fillets of trout with skin still on (one per person) See How To Fillet A Trout in the Trout Recipes +Videos section of this blog
- Splash of whiskey (optional)
- Olive oil
- Mixed herbs
- Rub or brush the marinade into the trout fillets
- Place fillets into a fish cage/grill (one per cage/grill). The advantage of using a cage is that you can turn the fish without it breaking up and added a smoky flavour to the fish by adding wood chips & herbs directly onto the hot charcoal.
- Place the trout onto a barbecue only when all the flames have disappeared leaving the glowing embers.
- Don’t have the trout too close to the glowing charcoal so that it burns but you do want it to be hot.
- Cook slowly turning regularly, at this stage you could add oak or hickory wood chips to the glowing embers to create an extra smoky flavour or herbs such as bay leaves, chives, thyme, rosemary, parsley or dill (this is optional). We have lots of herbs growing in pot around the barbecue, for this purpose.
- Cook trout fillet until slightly crisp (a few minutes only).
- BBQ trout fillets can be served with brown bread and butter as a starter, with horseradish or tartare sauce, or as a main course with potatoes/chips/rice, green vegetables or salad.
This is a very tasty way of cooking trout and lets face it everyone like a barbecue!